Founded in 1990 and guided by the values of collaboration, depth and feminism, OutRight Action International strives to help lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) people live safer, healthier, and more empowered lives worldwide. OutRight focuses its efforts on supporting organizations to effectively document human rights violations and advocate for the rights of LGBTI people. OutRight’s vision of change includes policy reform, legal challenges, increased coalition work, and stronger LGBTI communities worldwide. OutRight currently seeks an Arabic Media Project Coordinator.
Arabic media training position is a 12- month, part-time staff position, with the possibility of renewal of contract for another year and/or increase in work hours. The position is responsible for leading OutRight’s Arabic media sensitivity program, which aims at reaching out to Arabic media outlets and journalists to provide them with a better understanding around sexual orientation, gender identity, and LGBTI rights violations in the Middle East and North Africa. Priority is given to candidates who are based in the region and have prior experience in media outreach on sensitive issues.
- Conduct a base-line study to examine the media coverage of LGBTI issues in mainstream Arab media.
- Author LGBT sensitivity guide for the Arabic media in close cooperation with LGBTI activists across the MENA region to provide in-person media training for journalists.
- Provide in-person training for journalists and media professionals
- Follow-up with participants at the training to track success and measure training accomplishments.
- Pitch and place stories of LGBTI life and their struggle in the mainstream Arab media.
- Native linguistic skills in Arabic and English (writing, reading, and speaking). Fluency in French a plus.
- Advanced degree in journalism, political science, international relations, or other human sciences.
- Prior journalistic experience, working with Arabic media (minimum three years).
- Familiarity with LGBTI movement in the Arab Middle East.
- Deep understanding of gender and sexuality.
- Excellent writing and oral skills in Arabic and English (French recommended but not required).
- Proven track record in online social media networking (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc.)
- Ability to work with design and photo editing software a plus.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position and a resume/CV to email@example.com. Please refer to “Arabic Media Training” in the subject line. Applicants are also required to submit writing sample in English and Arabic on issues related to gender and/o sexuality. The sample writing can be between one to two pages in each language.
The deadline for applications for this position is May 1, 2016.
OutRight is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, People of Color, and transgender/gender-variant individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.